0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheels
Afternoon all
I've been thinking about wheels (as you do), I was driving on the M6 the other day and am pretty sure in the Birmingham region I saw a grey velar heading north, it had some stickers on the pillars etc but looked like a Velar to me. Thinking about what I saw and the open day the dealer had a few weeks ago my reflection of the Velar is that it is going to be very much both colour sensitive and also wheel sensitive.

So I've just been on the phone to the dealer asking about wheels, good news is according to the build info I have until the 21.06 to make any amendments, surely wheels are the final thing they drop on at the end of the production line but hey.

I have a thought which is I'll make a final final decision when I hopefully get to see more that an all black car, I totally recognise that it is entirely down to individual choice but I was not a fan of black, so much so I thought about having a conversation on getting out of the Velar and into a Sport instead.

My car is currently spec'ed as an Dynamic-R in Silicon Silver with a Black Pan roof, it only has the standard 20" wheels. All the press pics show the 22's and whilst £2900 is a serious outlay for wheels, a £60k+ car you're not happy with is a far worse prospect.

What are people's thoughts and what has everyone else done?

Regards

Rob.
I've gone for the 21inch 5 Split-spoke Style 5047 the non diamond turned finished. A £1245 option on my SE.

Looked at the widely shown off 22inch diamond wheels but at £2905 it was just just too much money for me for an extra inch of wheel, as nice as they look. Ive also had diamond alloys on a former Golf GTI and after a slight misjudgement with a kerb  Blush the cost of refurbishment of a diamond turn wheel was eye watering, which has kind of put me off.

Another thing to consider, or maybe clarify with your dealer, is when I was changing the spec on my Velar about a month ago my dealer mentioned that if I wanted the 22inch wheels it would likely delay my order. He didn't specify why and I didn't inquire any further as I wasn't going for them anyway. Might be worth an ask though.
(13-06-2017, 07:08 PM)geardownflaps15 Wrote: I've gone for the 21inch 5 Split-spoke Style 5047 the non diamond turned finished. A £1245 option on my SE.

Looked at the widely shown off 22inch diamond wheels but at £2905 it was just just too much money for me for an extra inch of wheel, as nice as they look. Ive also had diamond alloys on a former Golf GTI and after a slight misjudgement with a kerb  Blush  the cost of refurbishment of a diamond turn wheel was eye watering, which has kind of put me off.

Another thing to consider, or maybe clarify with your dealer, is when I was changing the spec on my Velar about a month ago my dealer mentioned that if I wanted the 22inch wheels it would likely delay my order. He didn't specify why and I didn't inquire any further as I wasn't going for them anyway. Might be worth an ask though.

Thanks for that heads up! I agree its a crazy amount of money for a minor wheel size increase. I also came a pic online the other day with the 21" wheel and thought it looked quite striking.....

pic attached (I think)

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah that looks really good with the dark wheels, goes really well with the silver / grey paintwork.

The dealer had a good point when we were discussing black wheels, in that he said due to the fact they are shod with black tyres the width of the wheel doesn't matter so much as the black wheel blends with the black tyre. Especially from a distance.
OK - so I've gone for the 22's - life is short, they are going to look amazing!
Very good! You're entirely right life is too short. You'll recoup a good chunk of the outlay when you come to sell as well. 

That's going to look one amazing car!
Which ones did you go for? the diamond turn ones that have been on all the demo cars?
Yes! :-)

If its good enough for a press car.....
(13-06-2017, 07:08 PM)geardownflaps15 Wrote: I've gone for the 21inch 5 Split-spoke Style 5047 the non diamond turned finished. A £1245 option on my SE.

Looked at the widely shown off 22inch diamond wheels but at £2905 it was just just too much money for me for an extra inch of wheel, as nice as they look. Ive also had diamond alloys on a former Golf GTI and after a slight misjudgement with a kerb  Blush  the cost of refurbishment of a diamond turn wheel was eye watering, which has kind of put me off.

Hi
You are right, I did change my order to the 22's and a little later a revised order form came through stating my delivery date has gone back by 4 weeks from Sept to Oct.....

Ah well.
Ah good stuff. 4 Weeks in the grand scheme of things isn't too bad at all. It will be worth it though they will be epic.