Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macan owner from Inverness
Hi Velar fans

I have been the proud owner of a Porsche Macan SD for two years, however I really like the look and tech of the Velar, so have been playing on the configurator. I'm in no hurry as I finance my cars over 3 years, so I'm looking forward to reading owners reviews, which options are must have's, which are not. I've already talked to my local dealer who said he could get me in one this year, but will probably get my name on the list soon for delivery next September. 

I'm keen to know how the car rides. I race cars in my spare time, so get my kicks on-track, on the road I like a cosseting ride, so maybe air is the way for me, but then there is budget to be kept in check...  

I've had diesels for many years and not really considered petrol in a large SUV before, however the P300 seems reasonably frugal with plenty of power and torque. Interested to hear about this too.  

My wife has had two Evoques over 5 years so I am aware of the JLR product.  

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum! Good to see you are considering the Velar, I have an Evoque currently and prior to the release of the Velar was to be found perusing the Macan in the Porsche dealership. Usual story for most owners of the Evoque was just after a bit more power under the bonnet!

The Velar was released and I had my head turned! So I'm sticking with Land Rover. Same as you, I was keen for air ride in my Velar which put me off the 4 Cylinder petrol as it wasn't available so I ended up ordering the D300. The potholes in my neck of the woods are so bad I just wanted air ride. Looked recently at the P300 which you can get air as an option and once I played with the configurator brought the price close to the D300 anyway. 

I'm also a bit old fashioned when it comes to engines and I just feel a big luxury 4x4 needs a big smooth engine. I found a video somewhere which showed an F-Pace 4 pot petrol pulling away at speed and, while it sounded good, it sounded like a hot hatch! It was like the sound was dubbed badly! Then the government wades into the mix with its huge downer on diesels . . . I've never struggled so much to spec a car in my life!

Anyway my dealer says that demonstrators will be available in the next month or so, so hopefully some reports will start appearing about how its drives for you. Hopefully its as good as it looks!
Thumbs Down 
(01-07-2017, 12:20 PM)Velar Wrote: Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum! Good to see you are considering the Velar, I have an Evoque currently and prior to the release of the Velar was to be found perusing the Macan in the Porsche dealership. Usual story for most owners of the Evoque was just after a bit more power under the bonnet!

The Velar was released and I had my head turned! So I'm sticking with Land Rover. Same as you, I was keen for air ride in my Velar which put me off the 4 Cylinder petrol as it wasn't available so I ended up ordering the D300. The potholes in my neck of the woods are so bad I just wanted air ride. Looked recently at the P300 which you can get air as an option and once I played with the configurator brought the price close to the D300 anyway. 

I'm also a bit old fashioned when it comes to engines and I just feel a big luxury 4x4 needs a big smooth engine. I found a video somewhere which showed an F-Pace 4 pot petrol pulling away at speed and, while it sounded good, it sounded like a hot hatch! It was like the sound was dubbed badly! Then the government wades into the mix with its huge downer on diesels . . . I've never struggled so much to spec a car in my life!

Anyway my dealer says that demonstrators will be available in the next month or so, so hopefully some reports will start appearing about how its drives for you. Hopefully its as good as it looks!

Yeah looking forward to getting a touch and feel of the car then. As I'm not in a rush I should be able to test both D300 and P300 back to back. Just concerned with the (unjustifiable) negativity on diesels currently.

Interestingly, as I mentioned we are on our second Evoque and have had no issues, until this week. My wife is visiting family 350miles away from home, and it has developed and transmission fault. Its restricted to 2 wheel drive. Called out the LR assistance, but unable to fix, needs a dealer visit. Hope she makes it home today ok... You heard of this issue?
Welcome, either engine will be amazing I'm sure.

I've had an issue with the gearbox on my Evoque about a year and a half ago. Mines a 9 speed and eventually needed replacing which thankfully was done no questions asked under warranty. But its been fine ever since and they gave me a nice RR Sport while they had it in the workshop.

Lots of talk about this particular box on other more evoque orientated forums, if you're lucky it will just be a software update and all will be well.

Thankfully the Velar has the same gearbox as the RR Sport which is well proven.