Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Leeds,
Morning all
Great to see a Velar forum to share info as it comes out.

For me coincidence seemed to dictate the last few weeks, I sold my last car, a '09 plate V8 M3, sort of by mistake had no idea what to get next until I saw the 1 pic of the Velar and after doing something similar on the Evoque back in 2010 thought it was worth a deposit. 

Next thing we know we're in the dealership eating cake, drinking coffee and spec'ing our Velar, I've gone for a Dynamic R SE (couldn't stretch for the HSE) with a 2.0, 240bhp petrol engine, in Silicon Silver, with black pan roof. I've been told Sept '17(ash) delivery, who knows what that really means, I'm expecting Nov time, but know we'll be one of the 1st.

Interested in hearing peoples views on engine type, it seems the campaign against diesel is going to get worse over the weeks and months and residuals are higher already on like for like cars with petrol so hopefully I've made a good choice. gulp!

best wishes!
Good Morning JTA_37

Welcome and congratulations on your new Velar. Looks like an amazing spec and great colour combination!

I think we may share a dealer as I'm from Leeds as well. When I was speaking to them they said aim for a September delivery as well, but pointed out that the first of the new Discos are coming slightly early. So you never know you might get your Velar a little bit early!

Ironically that put me off a little bit as I don't want to change until closer to Christmas.

I've been backwards and forwards with engines as well, UK government don't seem to know which one they want us to buy, few years back diesel was the way to go and now its the fuel of Satan! For me, I just don't do the mileage to warrant a diesel. I have an Evoque diesel right now and on my 5 mile commute in the winter the engine doesn't get up to temperature and I'm forever having to take it on a run to clear the DPF.

I think I'm leaning towards the 4 cylinder petrol myself but I can't get the 6 cylinder diesel out my head either. The supercharged V6 would be fun but would just financially ruin me!  I think a 6 pot suits the car better (I've always been slightly embarrassed about the noise of the diesel in the evoque). I also like the idea of the air suspension coming as standard on the 6 pot. But maybe that's just me becoming a fat old man!

Great to have you on the forum and congrats on being one the first!
Quote: glenden said:
Good Morning JTA_37

Welcome and congratulations on your new Velar. Looks like an amazing spec and great colour combination!

I think we may share a dealer as I'm from Leeds as well. When I was speaking to them they said aim for a September delivery as well, but pointed out that the first of the new Discos are coming slightly early. So you never know you might get your Velar a little bit early!

Ironically that put me off a little bit as I don't want to change until closer to Christmas.

I've been backwards and forwards with engines as well, UK government don't seem to know which one they want us to buy, few years back diesel was the way to go and now its the fuel of Satan! For me, I just don't do the mileage to warrant a diesel. I have an Evoque diesel right now and on my 5 mile commute in the winter the engine doesn't get up to temperature and I'm forever having to take it on a run to clear the DPF.

I think I'm leaning towards the 4 cylinder petrol myself but I can't get the 6 cylinder diesel out my head either. The supercharged V6 would be fun but would just financially ruin me!  I think a 6 pot suits the car better (I've always been slightly embarrassed about the noise of the diesel in the evoque). I also like the idea of the air suspension coming as standard on the 6 pot. But maybe that's just me becoming a fat old man!
Thanks, re dates ironically I am the same, I thought it was going to be a 2018 car and had plans all laid out perfectly. Still what will be will be.

I'm with you re engines, who knows it is a gamble for sure, 5 years ago (when we spec'ed a Evoque we had) if someone said go anything other than diesel engine I'd have thought they where mad. I read Whatcar's article yesterday, performance wise I think the 2.0 twin turbo petrol and the 3.0 V6 diesel will be pretty much on a par. The V6 Diesel is more expensive though but as you say comes with Air Suspension - if you're bothered about such things :-)

I have just sold my 4.0 V8, which was fond of a drink so am thinking nothing can be worse (apart from the Supercharged V6 no doubt)......... Interesting logic that I'm buying a Range Rover to economise - you've got me thinking now.

All the best and let me know what you select when you get to that point, regardless enjoy the triple layered Victoria Sponge cake at Farnell - my kids loved it!

It's a bit of a balancing act as you say, trying to balance ooomph, petrol station visits, the tax man, future value and in turn the monthly payment figure on the finance. All affected by the engine choice!

I'm really struggling but maybe some cake might provide clarity of thought!! Its not my local Farnell, but I got the Evoque from the old central Leeds branch and I saw they have moved the other day so may pop in and see what they say. Cheers for the tip on the cake!